Saturday, December 12, 2009

Favorite Android App of the Day

Where's My Droid:  There are some pretty cool applications that come along with Android phones, but is is somewhat safe to say that this application knocks most of them out of the water.  So the question that you should ask yourself before you rush out and install this app is, "do I lose my phone often or am I very fearful of losing my phone?".  If the answer is 'yes', which it should be regardless because everyone knows that it sucks to lose your phone, then this is the application for you.
                Say, for example, that I lose my phone.  Using this application, I can txt my cell phone a special code word that the cell phone is wired to detect.  If the word matches that of the phone then, regardless of whether the phone is on vibrate or silent, the phone starts to ring so that anyone can hear where the phone is located.  This is useful if a person has just misplaced the phone, it saves on battery power, but it does not help solve larger phone loss problems.
                Do not be worried though, because I can also text the phone a different code word.  This code word will activate the private GPS locator in my phone and send the txting cell phone the coordinates of my phone.  It will also send a web link to my e-mail that will connect me with Google Maps and a pinpointed location of my phone.  There is absolutely no way that I can lose my phone now, unless the battery power dies before I can get to it, or someone is literally on the run with my kidnapped phone.  I know that this sounds unreal, but I have tested this function out to its fullest and let me tell you, this works on an almost scary level.

No comments:

Post a Comment