Friday, November 6, 2009

iPod Maps vs. Verizon Navigator

        I have only used Verizon and AT&T for cell phone services, so those users of Sprint, Cingular Wireless, T-Mobile, etc. I cannot speak for.
        This weekend I took a trip through Wisconsin.  I flew into Milwaukee to meet my father.  There we traveled to my grandmother's house so that we could take her out for dinner.  The next morning my father and I traveled to Madison so that we could catch the Purdue vs. Wisconsin game that turned out to be a slaughter of the Boilermakers.  That night we traveled to Osh Kosh, one of the coolest city names on the planet, so that we could be closer to Green Bay.  The next morning, we again woke up to travel to Lambeau Field to watch the Packers vs. Vikings football game.  That was awesome, but when we left we had to drive from Green Bay back to Milwaukee so that I could fly home to get back for class on Monday.  Got to love those Com 435 8:30 AM classes.
        The point of this incredibly summarized narrative is to say that I traveled a lot this past weekend in territory that I had not navigated through previously.  Therefore, it is safe to assume that I had to use a GPS system of some type to get us there.  My phone serves me with VZ Navigator and my father's phone delivers him the ever magical iPhone Maps.  The beginning of the weekend was a debate over which system worked better, but it soon became clear.  The iPhone App, though it is very clear on a vehicle's current location, does not allow a user to change the road course or choose a different route.  It does not allow for multiple guidance routes to the same location in the case that a user does not want to use the highways.  Most importantly, the AT&T coverage sucks, so it is hard to get a map to anywhere in rural America.  Don't get me wrong, the street view application is incredibly useful for things like finding a parking spot or getting an idea of what is coming up in the future.  All in all though, the Navigator was reliable, it recalculated routes automatically, it gave the user the option to choose different paths, and even displayed search criteria for routes that included stuff like shortest distance, no highways, and avoid traffic.  It is harder to zoom in and zoom out with this product but we would have easily lost ourselves in Wisconsin without its help.

No comments:

Post a Comment